FOOD AND NUTRITION
Key Stage 5
Students are able to study food and nutrition throughout their time at Oakfield.
We encourage all students to become independent workers and to be able to prepare and cook food for themselves and their families.
In our large well equipped food technology room students cook healthy food but also recognise festivals and times of the year by preparing celebration foods.
BTEC Level 1 Diploma in Introduction to Professional Cookery
The course is studied over 3 years and is highly practical. We arrange visits to hospitality outlets and visiting speakers who talk about their work.
During this 3 year course we cover the following units:
- Introduction to kitchen equipment
- Health and safety awareness for catering and hospitality
- Introduction to employability in the catering and hospitality industry
- Prepare and cook food by deep frying and shallow frying
- Prepare and cook food by boiling, poaching and steaming
- Prepare and cook food by baking, roasting and grilling
- Prepare and cook food by stewing and braising
- Introduction to healthier foods and special diets
- Regeneration of pre-prepared foods
- Cold food preparation
- Food safety in catering